Sunday, May 18, 2008

The beginnings of a new decade...


Today I turned 30. Though I know many people stop admitting their age past their 29th year of life, I have decided to embrace this milestone zestfully. In addition, with the new life goals I have set for myself, I am quite excited for what the future has in store for Kyle and me. The wanderlust 20's may be behind me, however, my desire for adventure has only gotten stronger with time. Thankfully this past weekend I was able to celebrate this joyous occasion in both a reflective and fun way.
Kyle orchestrated a memorable wilderness excursion for us. We headed into the backcountry of the Los Padres on Friday evening, bound for Bluff Camp. Just last year, the area was mostly devastated by the Zaca fire. The hills all around the camp were consumed by the enormous blaze, leaving only blackened and twisted snags and bushes. We were, however, thrilled to see a large variety of wildflowers in bloom, as well as other signs of life amongst the charcoal. While there we did some much needed trail work, enjoyed the sunsets, waded in the creek, hiked around, and even played Yahtzee. It was extremely hot, though amazing. My last official misjudgment as a twenty-something resulted in a significant sunburn along the fringes of my tank top. That hopefully won't happen again, now that I am so much older and wiser (wink, wink). Just before our return home, we went for a quick dip in the Santa Ynez river before stopping for lunch at the Cold Springs Tavern (the old stagecoach stop). What a great place for people watching and eating the infamously hearty Tri-Tip sandwiches . Grrrrrr!

Hope each day of the rest of my life brings me as much fulfillment and joy! Here's to birthdays! Hip Hip Hooray!



No comments: